Associate Professor Ashton Partridge
BSc(Hons 1st Class), PhD
- Associate Professor
- Manufacturing Systems Ltd, Chief Science Officer
A BSc (1984) in Chemistry from The University of Auckland, and PhD (1989) in synthetic organic chemistry from La Trobe University (Melbourne), titled “The Computer Aided Design and Development of Drugs for Schizophrenia”.
I have worked in a number of organisations:
- Research Scientist for Australian Defence and IRL (Wellington) developing sensors and photovoltaics based on conducting polymers. A highlight was the long term collaborations with researchers from around the world including NZ’s Nobel Laureate Prof Alan MacDiarmid (Penn) and Prof Gordon Wallace (Wollongong) (1990).
- Senior Business Analyst / Programmer developing web-based marketing software for banks and retail outlets. This experience gave me some understanding of the realities of the business world, and the broad range of expertise required to take a product from the bench to the market (2002).
- Senior Advisor within the Ministry of Sceince endeavouring to measure the ROI in science and engineering (2006).
- Director of the Nanomaterials Research Centre at Massey University, building a group looking at Sensors and Solar Energy (2007).
- C&M UoA as Director of the Materials Innovation Network, with the role of continuing my research focus in sensors and solar, strengthening existing and developing new relationships between researchers and industry (2010).
- Chief Science Officer (MSL) where I head a number of sceintist and engineers developing polymer products for a range of appications including Building Integrated Photovoltaics and biological sensors. MSL owns several comapies in NZ, Japan and the USA which are the vehicles for commercialistion. (2009)
1983 Auckland University, BSc (Chemistry)
1984 Latrobe University (Melbourne), BSc (Hons) 1st Class (Chemistry)
1989 Latrobe University (Melbourne), PhD (Chemistry) - ‘The Computer Aided Development and Synthesis of Drugs for Schizophrenia’
Research | Current
- Solar energy: photovoltaics, solar roofing
- Sensors and diagnostics for biomarkers in the environment and biological fluids
Teaching | Current
PhD - Current
- Yijing Wang, “SPR Sensing for Progesterone”
- Christian Driver, “Progesterone Sensors”
- Danny Ko , Microfluidic Separation for Digital Sensing”
- Saymore Mutsamwira, “DNA Scaffolded Energy Upconversion’ (2016).
- Sharain Liew, “3D Dye Sensitised Solar Cells”, (2016).
- Cameron Tristram, “Cellulose Based Coatings”, (2015).
- David Bates, “Digital Sensors for DNA” (2015).
- Zoe Matthews , “Identification of FE related Biomarkers”, (2015).
- Nyree Parker, “Synthesis and Properties of Hexaazatrinaphthalene”, (2013).
- Helen Hsu, “Toward High Efficiency Solar Cells Biosensors for Fertility and Pregnancy in Cattle”, (2013).
- Emad Al-Imarah, “Toward High Efficiency DSSC Based Solar Cells”, (2012).
- Gaile Dombroski, “Application of SPR Sensing”, (2012)
- Indu Sharma, “Refinement of analytical technologies for detection of biomolecules of importance to the dairy sector”, (2011)
- Adam Stephenson, “DNA Scaffolded Porphyrin”, (2010).
Areas of expertise
- PV Chemistries: Amorphous silicon, Dye Senstitised Solar cells
- Synthesis, fabrication and manufacturing
- Building Integrated Solar Cells
Biological and Chemical Sensing
- Digital Sensing on a 3D Substrate
- Synthesis, fabrication and manufacturing
- Detection of micro-organisms, proteins, DNA, miRNA and small molecules
- Elected Member of TC82 International Review Group for Stats NZ
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Matthews, Z. M., Edwards, P. J. B., Kahnt, A., Collett, M. G., Marshall, J. C., Partridge, A. C., ... Derrick, P. J. (2018). Serum metabolomics using ultra performance liquid chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry in lactating dairy cows following a single dose of sporidesmin. Metabolomics : Official journal of the Metabolomic Society, 14 (5)10.1007/s11306-018-1358-4
- Wang, Y., Partridge, A., & Wu, Y. (2017). In situ surface protein conjugation of small molecules for SPR immunoassays. Analytical Biochemistry, 539, 149-151. 10.1016/j.ab.2017.10.017
- Haynes, A., Partridge, A., Ferandez, D., Kvasnica, J., Bates, D., & Morrow, C. (2017). Solar thermal roofing system. WO2015132756 A1 Related URL.
- Yeh, J., Zhu, B., Wang, K. I. K., Salcic, Z., Kannappan, K., & Partridge, A. (2016). Modelling diffusion impedance in the sensing of micron-sized particles. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 237, 329-340. 10.1016/j.snb.2016.06.065
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Amy Zhu, Kevin I-Kai Wang, Zoran Salcic
- Wang, Y., Partridge, A., & Wu, Y. (2016). Comparison of a carboxylated terthiophene surface with carboxymethylated dextran layer for surface plasmon resonance detection of progesterone. Analytical Biochemistry, 508, 46-49. 10.1016/j.ab.2016.05.027
- Mutsamwira, S., Ainscough, E. W., Partridge, A. C., Derrick, P. J., & Filichev, V. V. (2016). G-quadruplex supramolecular assemblies in photochemical upconversion. Chemistry - A European Journal, 22 (30), 10376-10381. 10.1002/chem.201601353
- Liu, P., Nguang, S.-K., & Partridge, A. (2016). Occupancy inference using pyroelectric infrared sensors through hidden Markov models. IEEE Sensors Journal, 16 (4), 1062-1068. 10.1109/JSEN.2015.2496154
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sing Nguang
- Booth, M. A., Karaosmanoglu, H., Wu, Y., & Partridge, A. (2016). Biosensor platforms for detecting target species in milk samples. In M. U. Ahmed, M. Zourob, E. Tamiya (Eds.) Food Biosensors (pp. 71-103). Cambridge, England: Royal Society of Chemistry. 10.1039/9781782623908-00071