Professor Aiguo Patrick Hu
BE, ME, PhD
Dr Aiguo Patrick Hu migrated to New Zealand in the end of 1996 from Xian, China.
Before that he worked as a lecturer, the director of the electrical section of the China-Italy Cooperative Technical Training Center in Xian, and later the general manager of a technical development company. He holds 15 patents in wireless power transfer and micro-computer control technologies, has published more than 200 referred journal and conference papers, authored a monograph on wireless/contactless power transfer, and contributed 4 book chapters on electrical machines and wireless power transfer systems.
Patrick is the Deputy Head of Department (Research), the past chair of the IEEE New Zealand North Section, President of Xian Jiaotong Univ New Zealand Alumni Association, and Vice President of New Zealand Chinese Scientists Association.
Dr Patrick Hu is also the Head of Resaerch of PowerbyProxi (www.powerbyproxi.com), and also an executive editor of Journal of Wireless Power Transfer, Cambridge Univ Press (https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/wireless-power-transfer).
PhD Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Auckland (2001).
ME Electrical Engineering, Xian Jiaotong University, China (1988).
BE Electrical Engineering, Xian Jiaotong University, China (1985).
Research | Current
- Wireless/Contactless power transfer.
- Power electronics circuit modelling and control.
- Application of power electronics in biomedical and renewable energy systems.
- Power electronics.
- Power systems.
- Wireless power transfer.
One of the most cited papers in IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuit and Systems (TBCS):
Teaching | Current
- ELECTENG 735 Green Energy Technologies
- ELECTENG 703 Advanced Power Systems
- ELECTENG 731 Power Systems
- ELECTENG 734 Power Electronics
- ELECTENG 208 Circuit and Systems (for Mechtronics)
- ELECTENG 701A and B (ECE Final Year Research Projects)
- ENGGEN 701 Professional Project (Engineering Projects in Community Services EPICS, and Formula SAE)
ECE Staff Student Consultative Committee. Faculty FSAE advisor. Head of Research, PowerbyProxi.
Areas of expertise
Wireless power transfer, Power electronics, Renewable energy integration.
- Senior member, IEEE
- Chairman, IEEE NZ North Section
- Member, NZ Engineers for Social Responsibility
- Vice Chairman, NZ Chinese Scientists Society
- Committee member, National Univ of Singapore Auckland Alumni Chapter
- Chairman, Xian Jiaotong Univ New Zealand Alumni Association.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Shaikh, M. F., Salcic, Z., Wang, K. I.-K., & Hu, A. P. (2018). Bipedal gait model for precise gait recognition and optimal triggering in foot drop stimulator: a proof of concept. Medical & biological engineering & computing, 56 (9), 1731-1746. 10.1007/s11517-018-1810-7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kevin I-Kai Wang, Muhammad Shaikh, Zoran Salcic
- Hua, R., & Hu, P. A. (2018). Modelling and Analysis of Inductive Power Transfer System with Passive Matrix Power Repeater. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics10.1109/TIE.2018.2860560
- Su, Y. G., Zhao, Y. M., Hu, A. P., Wang, Z. H., Tang, C. S., & Sun, Y. (2018). An F-type Compensated Capacitive Power Transfer System Allowing for Sudden Change of Pick-up. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics10.1109/JESTPE.2018.2859423
- Zhu, Q., Su, M., Sun, Y., Tang, W., & Hu, A. P. (2018). Field orientation based on current amplitude and phase angle control for wireless power transfer. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 65 (6), 4758-4770. 10.1109/TIE.2017.2767556
- Leung, H. F., & Hu, A. P. (2018). Modeling the contact interface of ultrasonic power transfer system based on mechanical and electrical equivalence. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 6 (2), 800-811. 10.1109/JESTPE.2017.2720852
- Zhou, W., Su, Y., Huang, L., Qing, X., & Hu, P. A. (2018). Wireless Power Transfer across Metal Barrier by Combined Capacitive and Inductive Coupling. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 1-1. 10.1109/TIE.2018.2849991
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Liang Huang
- Zhao, L., Thrimawithana, D. J., Madawala, U. K., Hu, P., & Mi, C. C. (2018). A Misalignment Tolerant Series-hybrid Wireless EV Charging System with Integrated Magnetics. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 1-1. 10.1109/TPEL.2018.2828841
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Udaya Madawala
- Su, Y., Chen, L., Wu, X., Hu, P., Tang, C., & Dai, X. (2018). Load and Mutual Inductance Identification from the Primary Side of Inductive Power Transfer System with Parallel-Tuned Secondary Power Pickup. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 1-1. 10.1109/TPEL.2018.2793854
903-346, Newmarket Campus
368 Khyber Pass Road,
Newmarket, Auckland 1023
Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering
The University of Auckland