Professor Avishai Ceder
BSc, MSc, PhD
- See also the link: http://ceder.net.technion.ac.il
- Professor - Chair in Transportation Engineering
- Founder and former Director, Transportation Research Centre (TRC)
- Honorary Professor as of 1st October 2016
Professor Avishai (Avi) Ceder arrived in November 2007 to the University of Auckland to take the position of Professor - Chair in Transportation, within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and then Director of the new established Transportation Research Centre (TRC).
Avi has had a distinguished career at the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, in the Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering where he was Head of the Transportation Engineering and Geo-Information Department. He was Visiting Professor twice at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology), the University of California at Berkeley, the University of Science and Technology and PolyTechnic University in Hong Kong, and in the University of Tokyo. He also delivered courses in Sydney University and Monash University in Australia and in the University of Rome.
Avi was Chief Scientist at the Israel Ministry of Transport from 1994 to 1997, Israel delegate to the Transport Program of the European Community and he is a member of organising committees of various international symposia and workshops (e.g., CASPT- International Conference on Advanced Systems for Public Transport; ISTTT- International Symposium of Transportation and Traffic Theory; TRB).
Professor Ceder has authored or co-authored over 200 articles in refereed journals, book chapters and proceedings. He is the author of the books: "Network Theory and Selected Topics in Dynamic Programming"(1978), "Systems Analysis"(1988), "Systems Analysis Using Operations Research"(1999) and Editor of the Proceedings "Transportation and Traffic Theory"(1999). He wrote a book ‘Public Transit Planning and Operation: Theory, Modelling and Practice’, Elsevier, Oxford, UK, 2007; this book was translated to Chinese by the Tsinghua Publishing Press in 2010; the 2nd Edition of the book by CRC press appeared in 2016 (with 40% additional materials over the 1st edition), was translated to Chinese by the Tsinghua Publishing Press in Beijing in 2017, and is being translated to Korean by the Cheong Moon Gak press. His publications include modeling and analysis in the areas of public transport, road safety, traffic flow and control, human factors and operations research in transportation, intelligent transportation systems, logistics, and intermodalities of passengers and freight.
- BSc Industrial & Management Engineering, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology
- MSc Transportation Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, USA
- PhD Transportation Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, USA
Research | Current
- Public transport
- Operations research
- Road safety
- Intelligent transportation systems
- Traffic control
- Transportation Research Centre (TRC)
- Transportation Engineering
- Stavri Dimitrov, for PhD
- Honorary Professor at the University of Auckland
- Honorary-Emeritus Member for academic, operative and management merits in the transportation field, the la Italian Society of Transportation Scholars (SIDT), 7 October, 2011.
Areas of expertise
- Public Transportation
- Transportation Systems Analysis
- Transportation Networks
- Traffic Flow and Control
- Human Factors
- Advisory Committee of the International Symposium on Transportation & Traffic Theory (ISTTT)
- Advisory Committee of International Conference on Advanced Systems for Public Transport (CASPT)
- Transportation Research Board (TRB), United States of America
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Herbon, A., & Ceder, A. (2017). Monitoring perishable inventory using quality status and predicting automatic devices under various stochastic environmental scenarios. Journal of Food Engineering10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2017.10.013
- Bagloee, S. A., Sarvi, M., & Ceder, A. (2017). Transit priority lanes in the congested road networks. Public Transport, 9 (3), 571-599. 10.1007/s12469-017-0159-x
- Liu, T., & Ceder, A. A. (2017). Integrated public transport timetable synchronization and vehicle scheduling with demand assignment: A bi-objective bi-level model using deficit function approach. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological10.1016/j.trb.2017.08.024
- Liu, T., & (Avi) Ceder A (2017). Deficit function related to public transport: 50 year retrospective, new developments, and prospects. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 100, 1-19. 10.1016/j.trb.2017.01.015
- Dimitrov, S., Ceder, A. A., Chowdhury, S., & Monot, M. (2017). Modeling the interaction between buses, passengers and cars on a bus route using a multi-agent system. Transportation Planning and Technology, 1-19. 10.1080/03081060.2017.1314504
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Subeh Chowdhury
- Nesheli, M. M., Ceder, A. A., Ghavamirad, F., & Thacker, S. (2017). Environmental impacts of public transport systems using real-time control method. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 51, 216-226. 10.1016/j.trd.2016.12.006
- Gertsbakh, I. B., Liu, T., & Ceder, A. (2017). On The Problem of Constructing Routes, Part I: Preface. Transport and Telecommunication Journal, 18 (3).10.1515/ttj-2017-0020
- Chowdhury, S. J., Govender, D., Govender, D. J., & Ceder, A. (2017). Assessing Connectivity Equity of a Regional Public Transport Network. Paper presented at Transportation Research 96th Annual Meeting, Washington D.C.. 8 January - 12 January 2017. (pp. 15). Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Subeh Chowdhury