Faculty of Engineering

Alternative pathway via Faculty of Science

Demonstrate sufficient ability during study towards a Bachelor of Science degree and you may be offered entry into the BE(Hons) degree programme.

The Faculty of Engineering is happy to give consideration to students who missed out on admission to the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) programme, (or who did not study either calculus or physics at Year 13 level), who are able to demonstrate sufficient ability in engineering-related study, especially calculus and physics, under a Bachelor of Science (BSc) or a Certificate of Proficiency in Science (CoP).


Admission following one semester in the Bachelor of Science (BSc)

A minimum of 30 places will be available for Semester Two entry on this basis.

Subject to the availability of places in Part I, the faculty will consider for admission students who achieve a minimum GPA of 5.0 (a ‘B’ grade average) across 60 points of study and a minimum ‘B’ grade in appropriate agreed courses in maths and physics (see below for more details).

If the faculty receives applications from more than 30 eligible applicants, eligible candidates will be ranked according to their GPA in Semester One and selected accordingly.

Offers will be confirmed by the faculty after course results are released at the end of the first semester.

Students seeking Semester Two admission must apply online by 1 July 2017.



To fulfil the Alternative pathway requirements for admission in Semester Two, students must be enrolled full-time in the following courses (subject to availability):

  • MATHS 108 or MATHS 110 or MATHS 150 (required)
  • PHYSICS 160 or PHYSICS 120 or PHYSICS 121 (required)
  • A General Education course that can be counted toward either a BSc or BE(Hons). NB: AELR requirements may apply
  • One other Science course from the approved courses list. These courses have been approved by the faculty of Engineering as creditable toward a BE(Hons) should your application for admission be successful

Please note that students who take a course which does not appear on the Faculty of Engineering approved list of courses will still be eligible to apply under the Alternative Pathway but will not be eligible for a full semesters credit towards Part I of the BE(Hons) degree.



If admitted to the BE(Hons) in Semester Two, you will be expected to enrol in the following courses:

  • CHEMMAT 121 – Materials Science
  • ELECTENG 101 – Electrical and Digital Systems
  • ENGGEN 115 – Principles of Engineering Design
  • ENGGEN 131 – Introduction to Engineering Computation and Software Development



Admission following a full year in the Bachelor of Science (BSc)

For students who fail to secure one of the 30 places available in Semester Two, there is still the opportunity to transfer into Part I of the BE(Hons) after a full year in the BSc (minimum 100 points).

To be considered eligible, students would need to achieve a minimum GPA of 5.0 throughout the full academic year AND at least a ‘B’ in appropriate courses in Maths and Physics. (MATHS 208 and PHYSICS 210 are acceptable for students who have passed MATHS 108/150 and/or PHYSICS 120/121/160 with a grade lower than ‘B’).

Offers remain subject to the availability of places and may only be confirmed once all school leaver applications have been considered.




Only students offered a place into Part I of the BE(Hons) in Semester Two via the Alternative Pathway will be permitted to credit their entire Semester One BSc enrolment toward their BE(Hons) Part I – provided all courses are from the approved courses list and your General Education course is from the appropriate schedule approved for the BE(Hons) and BSc.

Students offered a place in Part I of the BE(Hons) in Semester One may be granted some credit from their BSc, but in most cases study would be at the BE(Hons) Part I level.

(A minimum ‘B’ grade (B+ for MATHS 108) is required in any relevant course for the stated substitution/credit to be formally approved.)


Help and advice

For further information about admission into the BE(Hons) please contact the Engineering Student Centre.